menu
menu
St George's

Chapel and Community

At St George’s, a strong emphasis is placed on helping others in the local community and around the world.  Charities are chosen as a whole school during the first half of the Autumn Term and generally we choose an international, national and local charity to fundraise for each year.  

Every year group fundraises for the designated charities with all funds raised split the three ways.  Examples of year group fundraising events include cake sales, ‘teach a teacher’, sponsored runs, swims, reverse mufti days, cook offs, bake off, Christmas fetes and selling cards.

In addition to the charities chosen by the pupils every year, the school raises substantial funds for the Reads Public School for Underprivileged Children in Dundlod, India.  Fundraising for the project is also actively supported by the Parents Association through fundraising events such as quiz nights and the Parent Association Fundraising Ball.  Every other year, girls have the opportunity to visit Reads and work in the school during October half term, which is a very worthwhile experience for the girls enabling them to see first-hand how vastly different their education is from those of the children in India, and to help foster a social conscience now and in later life.

St George’s has also recently formed education partnerships with three local primary schools, Whitegrove Primary School in Warfield, Collingwood College in Camberley and Connaught Junior School in Bagshot.  Fourteen members of the Lower Sixth visit Whitegrove weekly to work on literacy and numeracy with Year 1 and 2 children.  Our Director in Residence took Lower Sixth Form drama scholars to work at Connaught and, as well as PSHCE activities, the girls directed and developed a piece of performance work involving students from the school’s student parliament.  We have also hosted 28 Year 7 Modern Language Students from Collingwood for a visiting performance of an interactive French play which developed the learning from both schools.  Similarly, an excellent Science day was attended by our state school partners.

The girls are encouraged to make positive relationships with staff and their peers, to support each other, to take part and get actively involved in the school community and above all to enjoy their school, have fun and grasp every opportunity given to them with enthusiasm.

Chapel

The school has a strong Christian emphasis although it welcomes girls from a variety of faiths and backgrounds.  All girls attend a weekly chapel service which offers an opportunity for the school community to come together with music often provided by our own Chapel Choir.  We regularly invite speakers of other faiths and world views to talk to our pupils.  The Chapel, located at the heart of the school, is always open for students to use at any time and the school Chaplain, the Reverend Jennifer Sistig, has an open door policy for any girl who may wish to see her.  The Chaplain is also keen to help those of other religious traditions who want to explore and develop their faith.

Preparation for Anglican Confirmation is available for girls from the Fourth Year upwards and each year the Bishop visits the school to celebrate confirmation with our community.

in this section