menu
menu
St George's

University Destinations

St George’s has an excellent record of girls achieving places at some of the top universities in the UK including the Universities of Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, LSE and Durham.  Subjects being read by recent cohorts include:

• Veterinary Science
  • Economics
  • International Relations
  • Archaeology
  • Civil Engineering
  • Classics
  • Graphic Design
  • History
  • History of Art
  • Fashion. 

Each year we also have girls who continue their study of Fine Art at prestigious art schools such as Central St Martin’s or Chelsea College of Art, go onto study drama or music or study sports science at prestigious universities such as Loughborough.

To download a list of university destinations that our pupils have gone onto from this year please click here.

Oxford and Cambridge

Girls who would like to apply to Oxford and Cambridge are allocated an Oxbridge Tutor and given interview advice.  The process is overseen by the Head of Sixth Form, an Oxford graduate, who helps guide your preparation and application.

Applications to top universities are becoming increasingly competitive and the School helps prepare girls for the different stages of the admissions process.  Girls thinking of applying to Oxbridge must demonstrate genuine intellectual initiative and be prepared to go beyond the demands of their chosen area of study at every opportunity.  These pupils are also strongly encouraged to contribute to Sixth Form Discussion evenings, establish clubs and attend lectures at universities.

The School supports the girls in making applications to Oxford and Cambridge in a number of ways. All pupils interested in Oxbridge attend a Student Conference at Epsom Racecourse and are then encouraged to visit the universities on Open Days. A series of interview seminars are held to develop the girls’ abilities in academic discussions before an interview swap is conducted with two local girls’ schools where our pupils will be asked questions by a member of staff at a different institution.

American Universities

In 2017 a number of girls secured offers from North American universities and a pupil enrolled at Georgia Institute of Technology to study Engineering. During recent years, there has been a substantial increase in applications to some of America’s most prestigious institutions including Harvard and Yale.  We encourage and support girls in their ambitions attending the Fulbright Commission US Colleges Fair.

We have a link with the University of William and Mary in Virginia, USA and Sixth Form students have an opportunity to spend a week there as a student during October half term.  Pupils attend classes and seminars, use the amazing Swem Library and are able to socialise with current students.  In addition, we are fortunate to have access to the university library for the rest of the academic year, which has proved particularly useful for EPQ research.

in this section