menu
menu
St George's

University Destinations

St George’s has an excellent record of girls achieving places at some of the top universities in the UK including the Universities of Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, LSE and Durham.  Subjects being read by recent cohorts include:

• Veterinary Science
  • Economics
  • International Relations
  • Archaeology
  • Civil Engineering
  • Classics
  • Graphic Design
  • History
  • History of Art
  • Fashion. 

Each year we also have girls who continue their study of Fine Art at prestigious art schools such as Central St Martin’s or Chelsea College of Art, go onto study drama or music or study sports science at prestigious universities such as Loughborough.

To download a list of university destinations that our pupils have gone onto for the past eight years, please click here

Oxford and Cambridge

St George’s runs an Oxbridge information evening during the spring term of the Lower Sixth with speakers from both universities.  Girls who would like to apply are allocated an Oxbridge Tutor and given interview advice.  The process is overseen by the Assistant Head who helps guide your preparation and application.

Applications to top universities are becoming increasingly competitive and the Oxford Committee helps prepare girls for the different stages of the admission and inform them about the best courses available.  Enrichment clinics are offered to help extend the candidates subject knowledge.  Girls thinking of applying to Oxbridge must demonstrate genuine intellectual initiative and be prepared to go beyond the demands of their chosen area of study at every opportunity.  These pupils are also strongly encouraged to attend the Sixth Form Discussion evenings and lectures at universities.

American Universities

During recent years, there has been a substantial increase in applications to some of America’s most prestigious institutions including Harvard and Yale.  Trevor Sharkey, Head of History, is the American University Advisor who assists girls with their university applications and prepares them for SATs.

We have a link with the University of William and Mary in Virginia, USA and Sixth Form students have an opportunity to spend a week there as a student during October half term.  Students attend classes and seminars, use the amazing Swem Library and are able to socialise with current students.  In addition, we are fortunate to have access to the university library for the rest of the academic year, which has proved particularly useful for EPQ research.

in this section